Sunday, November 14, 2010

Patience

Patience is what every mother if forced to learn! I have been told by one of my good friends that I have the patience of a saint when it comes to my kids. I guess at times I do, but we all know it is challenging to be patient ALL the time!

I guess just don't sweat the small stuff, you can not afford to with kids, you are the adult so you are always in control, even if you have to kind of manipulate the situation a bit so they believe they are getting what they want, but you actually are! (if this makes sence!) and some times you have to let it go. You win some, you loose some - thats life!

Well, I had to have lots of patience this afternoon. I decided to ask the kids who wanted to help me with dinner? They both said ME! then Cameron ended up wondering off and Cody stayed true to his word and decided he would peel the potatoes! Ok so normally 10 minute job for me and that includes cleaning up afterwards ended up as an hour long job to peel 5 potatoes and cover the floor in potato peelings! Which I spent 10 minutes on my hands and knees picking up!

At the end of the day we achieved lots of great things from this experience:
1) Cody felt valued as he was helping Mummy cook dinner! Something he only gets to do every now and then, so it is an extra special thing for him to do.
2) The hour that he spent peeling potatoes would have normally been spend on the play station, so that was an hour less on the game - always a good thing.
3) I got to spend some QUALITY time with Cody doing something he enjoys
4) Cody was proud of his efforts to peel the potatoes for dinner.
5) We got potatoes for dinner! One less job for Mum!
6) My 10 minutes spent peeling the potatoes was spent cleaning up! so no more no less work for me!

The list can go on and on with positive comments, I bet you I will keep thinking of more positive comments, so don't be supprised if in about 3 weeks or so I blog about it again!

I do recommend thou, if you ever get your child to help with dinner or prep dinner, Start about an hour in a half before you actually want to start cooking or have dinner 1) because you want to eat on time but the main reason 2) so that you can be patient and not try to tell them to hurry up or take over what they are doing because you are worried dinner will be late!
Make them feel valued that they are doing something really important. We only get one shot at raising that child, lets do a great job!

second blog for the day! wow
xox

1 comment:

  1. I love this Stacey. So true to guide kids in this way. I am very passionate about how we be with our children. So so Important. You Rock :-)

    ReplyDelete